Jan 23, 2021

Stupid work tricks.

Today we had another department meeting. It’s really just one more step along the rode to alienating people by management that proves to people time and again they know very little about process.One of the things that was made clear a few weeks back when I had the opportunity to listen in on a technical town hall was that change was a coming and it was change in the form of metrics!

The company CEO who is an alumni of McKinsey and Company bought in a pal from there who he had worked with to be CTO. Now,  I’ve met our CEO. I’ve spoken with our CEO privately and even had the occasion to exchange emails with the man. I like him, seriously I do like him as a person. I’ll go one step further, given his background and his upbringing I have more than a little admiration for what he has achieved in life.

You know... I said I wouldn’t talk about work and I’m going to try and stick to that. I’m off at the moment digging through my drafts queue and honestly I can’t say I miss work at all. I also made a promise ot myself to not log in to work email or anything else.

I get the sense form my co-workers I might be the exception to the rule on that. I’ve had contact with a few of my coworkers over the time I’ve been off but we haven’t talked about work as much as share holiday greetings with one and other.

I guess I’m fortunate in the sense that I make friends and over the years I’ve made really good long lasting relationships with people I’ve worked with.

Work is kind of secondary though...

I know what’s facing me when I return... they are implementing a new front end that all work will be forced to be done through. What’s really great about this? Aside from one hour long meeting about the software that I missed because I had work on deadline that needed to go out I have gotten ZERO training on this software!

I mean, think about that for a second.

This is a company run by these McKinsey folks and their big idea is to automate as much as they possibly can to cut down on markings and increase profitability. It’s also an attempt to allow them to do a ‘deep dive’ into assessing metrics on performance and the like.

Personally? Look, I’m at that point where I just feel like telling them to go fuck themselves.

This company has been an incredibly dysfunctional mismanaged mess since the day I started and nothing they’ve done since has disabused me of the notion. Now, they are implemented new technology without ramping up to it. Something like this in a well run organization would generally get about three months, NOT WITH THESE GUYS THOUGH!

My only goal is to use up as much of my vacation time and benefits before I leave for my new gig.

I can’t fix this mess and I honestly have given up. They don’t care about quality work and I don’t want to do shit work so where does that leave things? It’s likely time to move on.

No comments: